Our history

1922

1923

1926

1928

1936

1947

1958

1960

1962

1990

1991

1992

1996

1998

2013

For almost 100 years our organisation supports young people all around Wales and has its roots in the disadvantaged areas in the Valleys of South Wales in which the work was dominated by the collieries.

The organisation is founded by Captain John Glynn-Jones and David Davies of Llandinam, later to become Lord Davies of Llandinam.

 

Captain Glynn who works as a welfare officer at Davies’ Ocean Group of Collieries with coal mines all across South Wales is faced with the problems of the “collier boys”. He develops the idea of a club where boys get provided healthy exercises, cultural activities, discipline and develop a responsibility to their own community.

The first Boys’ Club is officially opened in Treharris, followed by other Boys’ Clubs across the South Wales Valleys.

The first annual general meeting is held in May in Cardiff where the participants agree on future plans for the following 12 months.

Lord Davies of Llandinam, one of the founders of our organisation

A group of boys from the Ocean Coalfield Area takes part in a camp which is organised by HRH The Duke of York every year. This visit conceives the idea of a similar camp in South Wales.

After an experimental period of two weeks in 1925, the St Athan Boys’ Camp, where members from every Boys’ Club can attend, opens. The official name was “The Miners’ Welfare Fund District Committee Seaside Camp” due to donations of the minors’ welfare fund. Captain Glynn hopes to enforce the unity between the different clubs with the help of the camp.

In July the first annual conference with club leaders, management committee members and secretaries of the first six boys’ clubs takes place at St Athan Boys’ Village. Two months later, the existing clubs unite as The South Wales Federation of Boys’ Clubs.

After a process of decentralisation, there are twelve club areas in the region of South Wales. This allows larger clubs to become responsible for local satellite clubs. The majority of leaders for these clubs come from the larger 'parent' clubs, instead of having leaders travel large distances to and from clubs.

The South Wales Federation extends its area and becomes The Welsh Association of Boys’ Clubs. After strengthen the membership conditions, the total number of affiliated clubs is reduced to  107, most of them located in the mining areas.

The Abercrave Adventure Centre, a second Boys’ Camp, opens.

The organisation changes its name to The Boys’ Clubs of Wales.

In July the St Athan’s Boys’ Village is reopened by HRH Queen Elizabeth.

Due to extreme financial difficulties The Boys’ Clubs of Wales are forced to cease operating.

St Athan Boys' Camp

The organisation officially allows girls within the clubs although girls have been coming to the clubs before and restarts operating.

The Club becomes a charity-based organisation (Charity Number: 1009142).

The organisation begins a scheme to expand clubs into North Wales and opens an office there in 1999.

The organisation changes its name to The Boys' and Girls' Clubs of Wales.

For celebrating the 85th anniversary of the Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs of Wales, a Striking Gold Talent Showcasting event is held in September with young people from Wales.

02920 575705

Charity number: 1009142

Boys' and Girls' Clubs of Wales

Crane House

Rover Way

Cardiff

CF10 4US

United Kingdom

© Boys' and Girls' Clubs of Wales. All rights reserved.